28 April 2008

april twenty sixth two thousand six

in honor of my grandpa's passing two years ago, each of us found a unique way to connect to him and his everlasting presence in our lives. i decided to do what i love doing the most: thinking, writing, and reflecting. here is an excerpt of the extremely rough and incomplete letter i began writing to him.

dear gramps,
well... it has been two years now since you've left us. i'm not really sure why you had to go, but i guess you were part of a bigger plan than all of us could imagine. i can't tell you that 'i know you are in a better place' because i am being selfish- and i don't see how you not being here makes any sense at all. i guess i don't really have a choice, though, huh? so i've decided to fill you in on everything since we've left off. i think the hardest part is not writing to you, but realizing that i won't get a letter back. i think that is alright though... maybe it's more poetic and beautiful this way... leaving life open-ended an
d free for all possibilities. in any case... here i go...
[insert two years of the unpredictability and uncertainty of life here]
after a graduation, a new school, a trip to britain, years of making new friends and keeping old ones, a family lawsuit, annual tahoe trips, and a few years without you here, i think i am ready for whatever life decides to throws at me. i miss you, gramps, and i truly wish you were here to watch me live it and help me along the way. life is not the same without you, but i am trying to make you proud. in your famous words, i will constantly strive to be a leader and as always, i'll be keeping up the high standards.
love,
amanda

3 comments:

Paula Donahue said...

What a wonderful letter Amanda.I love the pic!!I remember that day!!xoxoMom

emily said...

Lovely. I like the idea that we're all ready for whatever life throws at us now, and still working hard to do him proud. :)

Unknown said...

The hardest part for me is that my children will never know my beloved Uncle Tom. But... Amelia and Noah will know you and Patrick, Thomas, Emily, Claire, and Andrew... through you all, my sweeties will KNOW him. They are very lucky.